Digital signatures, also known as digital ID is an electronic, encrypted, stamp of authentication on digital information such as e-mail messages, macros, or electronic documents. Why you need a signature? A signature confirms that the information originated from the signer and has not been altered. Then how to create a signature? To create a digital signature, you have a signing certificate, which proves identity. When you send a digitally-signed document, you also send your certificate and public key. A certificate is usually valid for some time, after which, the signer must renew, or get a new certificate to establish identity.
Electronic signature Vs Digital signature
The difference between the electronic signature and digital signature is, an electronic signature is simply an image of your signature added to a document while a digital signature is encrypted data that proves the document came from you. That means digital signature encryption secures the data associated with a signed file and helps verify the authenticity of a signed record. Digital signature offers more security than an electronic signature.
Here are the steps to create digital signatures in the Microsoft Word program.
Adding Signature to Word Document
To add a signature in word document do the following steps:
- Place the cursor in your Word document where you want to insert a signature.
- Then click the Insert tab.
- Look for ‘Signature Line’ and select it.
- A popup menu box (like the one displayed below) will appear.
- Fill out the required fields and click ‘OK’.
- A signature line now appears in your Word doc.
Now your document is ready to share with the person from which you’re requesting the signature.
To complete a signature, receive the document.
- Open the document, you will be notified at the top menu bar with a yellow alert bar that states that this document requires a signature (as shown below).
- In the yellow alert bar, select View Signatures.
- To add your signature, double-click next to the ‘X’.
- A Sign box will appear where you can type your name out to use as your signature, or you can upload an image you might have stored on your computer.
- When you are ready to sign, click Sign.
How to Add Your Signature to PDF Documents
To sign a pdf document you can use the free app ‘Adobe Fill & Sign’ (in play store), it lets you fill, sign, and send any form. You can snap a picture of a paper form and fill it in on your phone or tablet and e-sign it and send.
To sign a document using Adobe Reader, open the PDF document in the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC then click the ‘Fill & Sign’ button in the right sidebar. Click the ‘Sign’ button appeared on the top toolbar and select ‘Add Signature’ to add your signature. By the way, you can also add initials. You can add text, add X mark, check mark, circle, line or dot in your document. You can also the signature style in the signature box. You can type, draw (you can draw your signature using your mouse or a touchscreen) or add an image from your computer (sign in a paper, scan it with a scanner and save as image file).
Do you want to sign documents yourself or request signatures from up to 20 different people in any order, or all at once? You can use some business application for it. You can add signatures and when the document is fully executed, everyone gets a copy delivered to their inbox. Hello sign allows you to sign 3 free documents per month to 1 sender. The paid version allows you to send unlimited documents.